Monday, February 4, 2008

Respecting the State

…metal spikes and barbed wire on the Egyptian-Palestinian border have effectively murdered Gazans’ hope for manumission, and mine for a respectable government in the Arab World.

I positively disagree with Suleiman Awwad, spokesman of President Mubarak of Egypt, when he says: "Egypt is a respected state. Its border cannot be breached and its soldiers should not be lobbed with stones". On the contrary Mr. Awwad, I’d say that the Egyptian state just missed the opportunity to become a state that deserves my respect. Let me remind you Mr. Awwad, that ‘respect’ is a feeling of deep admiration towards the achievements or abilities of a person or organization. And please excuse that in my eyes, locking inn 1.5 million people in their misery, if you are the only person with the key to their prison, doesn’t qualify as an action that deserves such admiration.

I would have admired a state and thus leader that stands for justice in the presence of cruelty, a leader that would accept the bombardment of his cities for having taken the right decisions, and a leader that would once again publicize the absurdity of the situation in Palestine, a leader that stands with the weak.

I am deeply sorry that this state doesn’t deserve my respect Mr. Awwad.

No comments: